Hi, I am Ashli! Welcome to my little corner of the web.
I am a first-time mommy, full-time marketing / pr professional, part-time blogger and no-time sleeper.
I grew up in small town; yet, had big aspirations of becoming something great in a major city. Los Angeles and New York City were calling my name until one day a dashing familiar young man called out to me. His voice a bit louder than the flashing lights, honking horns and incredibly undertones of city life. Soon I was faced to make a decision and chose love.
We sowed out roots in that same small town and I set about defining myself by my career and my professional successes. I was relentlessly determined and focused to not let those big city dreams die. Soon, I realized that success was not defined by geographical location and making it “big” could be achieved without becoming famous.
For me, life was good and I felt beyond blessed, comfortable and safe. Then, I became pregnant. It wasn’t that I never wanted to have children, because that was not the case. I indeed wanted children, but I think I was not physically ready. And, more than that, mentally. I, again, was faced with these ultimate fantasies of what life was about and I could not imagine how adding children to the mix would do anything more than complicate matters.
Then she came, and I felt complete. More complete than any resume builder or any promotion. I no longer needed to define myself by my professionally successes. My outlook on life yet again changed. What I thought was my dream, I soon realized was not and that adding mother to my title was beyond fulfilling.
I still want it all. Even though “all” is constantly redefined.
And, that is what my personal Blog is about – living backwards in high heels.
It’s having a major presentation at work, and not sleeping because your toddler is up all night teething. It’s remembering to pack her diaper bag for the day, laying out dinner, throwing the credit card bill in the mail, remembering to grab your brief case, searching the house for your car keys that you know you saw your child play with the night before, it is walking into a board meeting with maple syrup on your pants and blouse from your rowdy baby, it’s checking in on her in between phones calls and emails and more meetings, its rushing home to get a phone call you are out of milk, it is walking in the front door and making dinner, throwing laundry in the washer and running your child’s bath before you realize your heels are still in.
As life evolves, I realize so do I. But, I am not alone. Every step of the journey has been part of a greater plan that I never knew nor could see. While I can make the decisions, faith is what ultimate leads me.
- My husband was my elementary school sweetheart and first kiss. I know, gush!
- I am a new Mommy! We welcomed Baby Lo to the world in December of 2014.
- Milk and Oreos… yeah, I could pretty much live off of them.
- I get mistaken for a Southerner all time time. People swear I am from the Carolinas.
- I can sing you just about any song but I will inevitably have a few lyrics wrong.
- Refer to above bullet. This is how I stay hip with my younger siblings, nieces & nephews and hopefully, Baby Lo will agree one day too!
- In case you were wondering, I am the oldest of 5 children.
- I switched my major in college from Architecture to Theatre and announced it to my family on stage at a State Beauty Pageant.
- My father was less than thrilled but got over it when I graduated in 2008 as a double major in Mass Communications and Theatre.
- I am obsessed with American Horror Story. I want to star on the show. Call me, Ryan Murphy! Or, start a PodCast to recap every episode and lend predictions.
- Charleston, South Carolina is my favorite city that I have visited in the US. Refer back to my Southern accent!
Curious about my name choice – BackwardsNHighHeels? I would be too!